This weekend I completed some more fiddly bits.
- The mast received its final coat of Marine polyurethane clear varnish (7 coats on top of the 3 coats of epoxy).
- I made the stem from Paulownia. This needed careful planing to get the taper right. If you look closely, you'll see the sort of "twist" that this taper induces. Clamping such a shape is impossible so I used long panel pins to hold it to my sawhorse while I planed. I was careful to punch the pins deep enough to prevent the plane blade striking the nails.
- I also made the tiller from Hoop pine with Paulownia infills. This will connect to the rudder stock when I make that. It now has 2 coats of epoxy.
Being short of stuff to do, I found my old chisels. These did not receive the best of treatment when I was repairing cricket bats a few years ago and had built up a goodly layer of glue which had promoted rust. They cleaned up nicely with a wire wheel and then I took them to my diamond stone for sharpening, so now I have some nice, gleaming and sharp chisels, ready to take on the Goat :)